[mythtv-users] Poor playback performance on Mac mini

joenyland at me.com joenyland at me.com
Wed Mar 14 12:24:46 UTC 2012

On 14 Mar, 2012,at 12:16 AM, Jean-Yves Avenard <jyavenard at gmail.com> wrote:

> Yes..
> This is an issue when using Qt 4.6 on the mac.
> It was either a beep with 4.6 or a complete freeze using 4.7, take your pick :)
>
> Qt is still rather buggy unfortunately, I will try doing a build
> against Qt 4.8 today, this unfortunately takes a while as Qt 4.8 is
> only available in 64 bits packages and there are still people using 32
> bits mac..
>
> With the bug above, you can pretty much enter and complete one setting
> menu at at time. Once you have saved, you can't go anywhere with the
> keyboard and you can only use the mouse.
> You must quit and restart for it to work.
>
> Having said that, you configure in one go your mac mini to enjoy VDA decoding:
> Setup -> TV Settings -> Playback
>
> select Add New
> name it to whatever you like
>
> Then click on: Add New Entry
> Set it as follow:
> Match Criteria: > W: 0 H: 0
> Decoder: vda Max CPU: 2
> Video renderer: OpenGL, osd renderer: opengl2
> Next til you get to Finish
>
> Restart mythfrontend.. enjoy.
>
> I will be creating an automatic entry with all profile set today

Ok, so I'm glad I'm not the only one who's noticed this then :-)

Thanks for the instructions on setting up the playback profile.

I did manage (after lots of messing about with keyboard/mouse trying to work around the keyboard issue) to direct my frontend to playback one of the the recordings which I had been using for testing before the upgrade and it does _seem_ to be an improvement already! - which is great.

I was unable to view live TV though. Not sure if this was a bug, or just an issue in accessing the recordings on my backend, but I'll hopefully be doing some more testing with this tonight to establish whether it's an issue or not. The error was something like "Error opening jump program file buffer" then a generic stream error. As I said, more on this, if it proves to be an issue, but I suspect it's a config issue on my part.
Eagerly awaiting the outcome of your build against Qt 4.8! Let me know if you want me to test it.

Many thanks,

Joe