[mythtv-users] Poor playback performance on Mac mini

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Wed Mar 14 00:16:40 UTC 2012

Hi

On 14 March 2012 08:28, Joe Nyland <joenyland at me.com> wrote:
> Ok, so I've upgraded my BE to 0.25 - this was a pretty smooth process.
>
> I've
> downloaded: http://www.avenard.org/files/mythtv/mac/MythFrontend-v0.25-beta-105-gf261f8e.dmg on
> my frontends, but I am unable to navigate any of the menus with my keyboard.
> I can move about with my mouse, but it's painful. My remote is also setup
> with key presses, so I'm dependent on keyboard navigation.
>
> When I press any key on my keyboard, I just get the generic Mac 'bell' error
> sound. Is there a setting somewhere that's stopping me from using my
> keyboard by default in 0.25? I've had a good look round myself, tried a
> different theme, but I've not spotted anything useful.

Yes..
This is an issue when using Qt 4.6 on the mac.
It was either a beep with 4.6 or a complete freeze using 4.7, take your pick :)

Qt is still rather buggy unfortunately, I will try doing a build
against Qt 4.8 today, this unfortunately takes a while as Qt 4.8 is
only available in 64 bits packages and there are still people using 32
bits mac..

With the bug above, you can pretty much enter and complete one setting
menu at at time. Once you have saved, you can't go anywhere with the
keyboard and you can only use the mouse.
You must quit and restart for it to work.

Having said that, you configure in one go your mac mini to enjoy VDA decoding:
Setup -> TV Settings -> Playback

select Add New
name it to whatever you like

Then click on: Add New Entry
Set it as follow:
Match Criteria: > W: 0 H: 0
Decoder: vda  Max CPU: 2
Video renderer: OpenGL, osd renderer: opengl2
Next til you get to Finish

Restart mythfrontend.. enjoy.

I will be creating an automatic entry with all profile set today