[mythtv-users] Poor playback performance on Mac mini

joenyland at me.com joenyland at me.com
Tue Mar 13 13:12:42 UTC 2012

On 13 Mar, 2012,at 12:26 PM, Jean-Yves Avenard <jyavenard at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi
>
> On 12 March 2012 10:46, Yeechang Lee <ylee at pobox.com> wrote:
> > I see audio with a white screen with the 64-bit, unlabeled
> > MythFrontend at /mythtv/mac. The 32-bit g247c4f1 0.24.2 MythFrontend
> > plays fine on my Mac with 10.6, though.
>
> FWIW, I've removed the 64 bits 0.24 build.
>
> Basically, I only managed to get video when using quartz/CoreVideo
> playback. This is only available in 32 bits in Carbon.
>
> The grey screen you are seeing is the OpenGL playback not doing what it should.
>
> I've spent the day troubleshooting things, and I have an build that
> works, however it required massive amount of backports, so it's just
> not worth it.
>
> So for 0.24, you will be limited to 32 bits build and quartz playback...
>
> If you want OpenGL and hardware accelerated video, time to upgrade to 0.25...
>
> I like backporting stuff, but really... enough is enough here...
>
> Sorry
> JY

I think my next best step would be to make sure I have a good back up of things, then try upgrading to 0.25 tonight.

Quick question though: is there a way to dump/export a list of recordings/rules which would allow me to start with a fresh database? Or am I safe enough to keep my current DB when upgrading to 0.25?

Hopefully the hardware accelerated video is the thing I'm missing in Myth which I should get from the upgrade, as you have pointed out.

There's absolutely no need to apologise for not wanting to back port it - I'm immensely grateful for the time you've spent not only on this issue, but your time in general that you spend on MythTV, providing builds, etc. The same goes for everyone else who's chimed in so far, I really appreciate it.

Many thanks,

Joe