[mythtv-users] migrating to 64 bit ?

Stefan G. Weichinger lists at xunil.at
Mon Mar 12 21:14:02 UTC 2012

Am 12.03.2012 21:46, schrieb Gary Buhrmaster:
> On Mon, Mar 12, 2012 at 20:16, Stefan G. Weichinger <lists at xunil.at>
> wrote:
>>
>> Do I have any real advantage if I migrate my good old mythtv-0.24
>> backend from 32bit to 64bit?
>
> If the system has (or will have) more than 4GB of memory, there is a
> clear advantage.

currently 8 gigs in there. Although not really used ;-)

> Otherwise, for most cases, the advantages and
> disadvantages end up being somewhat of a wash for "most" users.  That
> said, if I was installing a new system today, I would tend to install
> it at 64-bit since that is what is currently being most extensively
> tested.

I totally agree and do the same for years now.

The BE in question is a good old box from earlier times.

It runs an up-to-date 32bit gentoo linux with a current kernel, so it
isn't an ancient system in a way. Just 32bit ...

> Note that if the BE system is used for other purposes, there
> may be other application dependencies on 32-bit (flash used to be one
> of the poster children for this, which used to require installing the
> 32-bit browser; fixed some time ago for flash; your app may vary).

It's a server ... zfs-fuse might benefit, yes.

> Note, do not try to "upgrade" to 64-bit from a 32-bit OS.
> Reinstall.

Yes, sure!

Thanks, Stefan