[mythtv-users] migrating to 64 bit ?

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Mon Mar 12 20:46:16 UTC 2012

On Mon, Mar 12, 2012 at 20:16, Stefan G. Weichinger <lists at xunil.at> wrote:

> Do I have any real advantage if I migrate my good old mythtv-0.24
> backend from 32bit to 64bit?

If the system has (or will have) more than 4GB of memory,
there is a clear advantage.  Otherwise, for most cases,
the advantages and disadvantages end up being somewhat
of a wash for "most" users.  That said, if I was installing
a new system today, I would tend to install it at 64-bit
since that is what is currently being most extensively
tested.  Note that if the BE system is used for other
purposes, there may be other application dependencies
on 32-bit (flash used to be one of the poster children
for this, which used to require installing the 32-bit browser;
fixed some time ago for flash; your app may vary).

Note, do not try to "upgrade" to 64-bit from a 32-bit
OS.  Reinstall.

Gary