[mythtv-users] Some first impressions

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Fri Mar 9 20:51:46 UTC 2012

On 03/09/2012 02:40 AM, Ross Boylan wrote:
> The keyboard shortcuts were not at all as documented in the online
> guides.

http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-11.html#ss11.1 documents the
default values of the most useful key bindings.

>    I found a customization screen where I can see the current
> settings, but I've found no good way to printout a chart of all the
> shortcuts, which is really what I need.  And shouldn't there be a way to
> accomplish the same effects without having to remember all the magic
> keys?
>
> I was absolutely delighted by the commercial skipping/deletion.
>
> I was delighted that I could jump an arbitrary number of minutes forward
> and back; there doesn't seem to be a way to do that in Windows Media
> Center.  It would be nice if there were a way to jump to "N minutes into
> the recording" as well; perhaps I just haven't found out how?

15 INFO (I) goes to the 15-minute mark
15 RWNDSTICKY (<)  goes to 15 minutes from the start of the recording
(i.e. equivalent to 15 INFO)
15 FFWDSTICKY (>) goes to 15 minutes from the end of the recording

(And, just to make it more fun:
99 RWNDSTICKY (<) goes to 99 minutes from the start of the recording
100 RWNDSTICKY (<) goes to 60 minutes (= 1hr and 00min) from the start
of the recording
)

> Initially I couldn't view anything; the video had 2 copies stacked
> vertically in the best case, and was completely garbled, using 100% CPU,
> and unresponsive in the worst.  I fiddled with the deinterlacing options
> and am having better luck now (but some videos are still garbage).

That's AMD/ATI's broken graphics driver coupled with your using the Bob
deinterlace option.  This is due to your using a broken Playback Profile
group (which is removed from 0.25beta, so won't happen with the new
version).

You need to go to mythfrontend Utilities/Setup|Setup|TV
Settings|Playback, and--on the 3rd screen--change the Playback Profile
Group from CPU+ to Slim.

Mike