[mythtv-users] Help running mythtv-setup

James Klaas jklaas at appalachian.dyndns.org
Fri Mar 9 13:57:34 UTC 2012

On Thu, Mar 8, 2012 at 7:47 PM, James Linder <jam at tigger.ws> wrote:

> On 09/03/2012, at 2:16 AM, mythtv-users-request at mythtv.org wrote:
>
>> Hi.  My upgrade/reinstallation of MythTV seems to be going backwards.
>> I'm a little frustrated at this point.
>> I keep getting sidetracked by apparently irrelevant errors.
>>
>> I removed all the database files, I removed all the packages and tried
>> starting over from scratch.  I reinstalled the Ubuntu packages from
>> the mythbuntu packages using 0.25 since I've got a Ceton.
>>
>> When I run mythtv-setup, I get the Country/Language dialog, but
>> there's no Language list.  Looking in the kern.log I see lots of
>> errors about libQtCore.so.4.6.2 segfaulting.
>> Can anyone help.  This should be as clean an install as installing from scratch.
>
> >From your postings it would seem that you are not a wizz that can install a myth system with his eyes closed so why would you be playing with the 0.25-beta?
> Standard (say 10.04 cause I've done that) ubuntu JustWorks when you install the myth packages.
> I've not tried but am confident that mythbuntu makes it very easy too.
>
> Once you have a working 0.24 system THEN get bold and play
> Using your ProductionSystem as a play ground will cause scratched knees YMMV
>
> James

I am actually quite experienced with Myth, I just haven't had an
active system for a few years.  Why take a condescending attitude
James, if you're not going to offer a constructive suggestion?  It's
very irritating.

I'll be trying what Michael Watson said:

> ... setting up a Backend only (No Frontend).  I found that I needed to install the frontend package
> before I could set the Country/Language properly.)

Unfortunately it's things like this that also irritate me, I shouldn't
have to install the frontend to configure a backend only.  You can't
have mythweather without the front end either.  Why would I need to do
that at all on a backend-only system with mythweather on the web
interface.  I'm willing to deal with quirks like this, but if I don't
know about them, it's pointless.  This essentially a bare install.
Whether the software is "beta" or not (the language issue happened in
the 0.24 packages too), it shouldn't happen on a bare install.

James