[mythtv-users] Silent slave backend

Andre mythtv-list at dinkum.org.uk
Mon Mar 5 15:22:03 UTC 2012

On 5 Mar 2012, at 15:08, Jelte Veldstra wrote:

>> Is anyone running an Atom board as a slave backend?
>>
>> I commonly record 5 or 6 simultaneous HD streams from two DVBS2 tuners during programme overlaps but as this would be netbooted with NFS storage I'm thinking it's CPU demands _should_ be very light, all re-encoding (commflagging doesn't work well here so I don't use it) would be done on the quad 2.4GHz C2D backend with local storage. I currently have a netbooted frontend but the boot image is on SSD so that is very fast and I suspect a second (or more) netbooted system would be little extra load.
>>

> CPU load should be very light indeed. I run my master backend off a
> Sempron LE1250 and the load on the CPU is low. The issue that I
> sometimes run into with multiple recordings (=>4 concurrent) is that
> the disk IO is insufficient. I record to a single drive and until last
> weekend only had 1GB RAM. Now I have 4GB RAM installed so hopefully
> bigger disk caches help out somewhat. So CPU I would not worry about,
> but 5-6 recordings would put a strain on disk IO and perhaps on
> network IO also.

Thanks for the input.

The backend has four recordings disks and 5GB RAM also I'd be moving the card from local to slave rather than adding an extra two tuners so I think I should be ok for IO as it's all fine now. The Atom board has a couple of Intel 82574L nics so hopefully they have a well maintained driver, there's certainly no network IO problems with it right now, just a hopeless CPU!

Thanks