[mythtv-users] 0.25 Parental controls

Scott & Nicole Harris snharris99 at live.com
Fri Mar 2 22:29:49 UTC 2012

>>> It did work for me before last update (yesterday evening), I'll check if
>>> it still does. I'm using the Gentoo packaging so it might not be the
>>> most up to date.
>> I confirm it is broken for me.

>WIth some saying that it works and some saying it doesn't, I wonder if
>this could be a case of misunderstanding settings.

>Do those of you for whom the setting doesn't appear to work have "File
>browse mode" enabled?  "File browse mode" is an evil (and inefficient)
>setting that no one should be using.  It says, "Ignore everything in the
>database and scan every single video directory on every single host
>every time I start up MythVideo and just show everything you find."  You
>should, instead, be using MythVideo to scan for changes and then manage
>the metadata for your videos so that it's stored to the database and
>used every time you use MythVideo.

>I have a feeling most people who "Enable file browse mode" do so
>thinking it's what allows them to see directory structures.  Instead,
>directory structures/hierarchy is available by selecting "Disable flat
>view".

>Note that "Enable/Disable file browse mode" and "Enable/Disable flat
>view" are available in the MENU in MythVideo, but are enabled and
>disabled separately for the 3 MythVideo views--Browse view, List view,
>and Gallery view.  Therefore, you may need to disable file browse mode
>in multiple views.

When I tried out 0.25 recently, parental controls were not working (well
unless I specifically requested a level after loading MythVideo as
previously reported).  File Browse mode was not (and never has been)
enabled.  I just confirmed also on my 0.25 test setup on my laptop.  No File
Browse Mode, no (reliable) parental controls.