[mythtv-users] Anybody have any alerts set up on failed recordings?

Larry K lunchtimelarry at gmail.com
Fri Mar 2 01:03:44 UTC 2012

On Thu, Mar 1, 2012 at 7:53 PM, Matt Emmott <memmott at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have an occasionally-recurring problem where my HDHomeRun Prime, or at
> least the Charter Tuning Adapter, loses its connection. When this happens,
> recordings that use the cablecard (pretty much anything that isn't
> available on QAM) fail. I came home today and had a boatload of failed
> recordings. When this happens I have to reboot the Tuning Adapter and
> HDHomeRun before I can tune those channels again.
>
> I was wondering if anybody had set up any kind of alerting, preferably
> using email, when recordings fail. I haven't looked into it that deeply
> yet, perhaps using procmail and the mythbackend.log, or the system events
> feature that I admittedly haven't looked into very deeply.
>
> I'm open to any ideas. Thanks!

I just have a simple script I run with cron to scan the log and send me an
email.  You can grep for whatever message you care about.  Not very
sophisticated, but it mostly works.

#!/bin/bash
if [ $(tac /var/log/mythtv/mythbackend.log |grep -e "Error:"  | wc -l ) = 0
] ; then
exit
else
/usr/sbin/sendmail email_address at gmail.com < /mail_message.txt