[mythtv-users] Repeat last cut in cutlist editor, feature request

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu Jun 28 02:43:45 UTC 2012

On 06/27/2012 09:54 AM, John Veness wrote:
> I regularly use the cutlist editor to cut out adverts from recordings
> (I don't use automatic commercial detection as it doesn't work too
> well for me). While doing this, I often notice that the advert breaks
> are exactly the same length in a particular recording, e.g. always
> 4m23s, or always 5m18s. The length varies from one recording to
> another, but is often (not always) consistent within a given recording.
>
> Because of this, it would be great to see a new feature in the cutlist
> editor to "repeat" the last cut. By that I mean that I would cut out
> the first advert break manually, navigate to the start of the enxt
> advert break, bring up the menu and choose the repeat cut option. This
> would start a cut at the current position and end it such that it's
> the same length as the previous cut. The cursor would also be moved to
> the end of the cut, where I could tweak the end point if necessary.
>
> I don't know who's working on the cutlist editor, but I would be
> pleased if this could be considered.

I have a patch in progress that will modify the way you navigate through
a recording when editing recordings (basically will make it much easier
to jump/skip through the recording).  Since I doubt that many people are
in areas where commercial breaks are always the same length throughout a
recording and since it's /much/ harder to move a mark than to add a new
mark, I'd prefer--rather than setting both ends of a cut at once--an
approach that allows you to jump forward/backward the amount of the
previous/next cut section (so, set a mark, then jump).  Then, if it's
the right place for a mark, you can just hit SELECT again.  If not, you
can fine tune, then hit SELECT.  Does that seem like a workable approach
to you?

Mike