[mythtv-users] mythmessage - what I learned

Michael mythtv at blandford.net
Mon Jun 25 05:12:24 UTC 2012

On 06/24/2012 08:14 PM, Michelle Dupuis wrote:
> based on reading lots of posts, I thought I would summarize for any
> others interested:
> 1. The wiki is wrong - the default port in use my mythmessage is 6948
> (not 6549)
> 2. The wiki is wrong - mythmessage won't listen to broadcasts, only
> packets directed just to that IP

Broadcasts work fine for me.  I use this in several of my home
automation scripts.

mythutil --message --message_text $message --timeout 5 --bcastaddr
192.168.1.255

My network is 192.168.1.0 w/ 255.255.255.0 as the subnet mask.

I can receive the same message on many frontends.

> 3. The wiki is incomplete - the timeout for messages ONLY applies
> while playback is in progress.  Otherwise, timeout is ignored and an
> OK button appears and the message stays on screen, and queue up.

This is true.  I do wish it would timeout as well.  I have seen many
references to this on the list though.  All of my frontends suspend to
ram so I don't usually have frontends running when they aren't being
used so it hasn't been an issue.  This definitely should be noted on the
wiki