[mythtv-users] SSD for speed up FE/BE

Ronald Frazier ron at ronfrazier.net
Thu Jun 7 11:47:29 UTC 2012

On Wed, Jun 6, 2012 at 6:15 PM, Preston Crow
<pc-mythtv08a at crowcastle.net> wrote:
> An SSD file system must support TRIM or performance will be sub-par, so EXT3
> is out.  EXT4 is a fine choice.

Lets be clear here. When you say "sub par", you just mean "slightly
slower than it could be". You make it sound bad, but it's not. Even
without trim, performance will be orders of magnitude better than a
regular hard disk. And lack of TRIM only affects writes. For read
operations there's no difference.

My myth system has an SSD that doesn't support TRIM (1st generation
Intel), and the improvements are remarkable vs a HDD. The system I
originally took that drive out of was upgraded with a newer SSD that
does support TRIM (3rd gen Intel), and from a performance aspect
there's very little difference. I'm sure it would benchmark better,
but from a user experience standpoint, you could probably swap the
drives on me and (other than the capactity) I'd never know the
difference.

That said, I'm not advocating EXT3 or anything (I use EXT4 on my SSD).

--
Ron Frazier