[mythtv-users] SSD for speed up FE/BE

PJR pjrobinson at metronet.co.uk
Wed Jun 6 23:43:11 UTC 2012

On 06/06/12 23:15, Preston Crow wrote:
> On 06/06/12 17:52, Josu Lazkano wrote:
>> I am thinking on buy a little SSD drive to speed up my Nvidia ION Atom
>> FE/BE system. Actually I host MySQL data directory on 2.5 HDD
>> (5400rpm) EXT4 disk. I have some questions about SSD setup.
>>
>> 1. Which is the best option to host MySQL datadir? EXT3? EXT4? XFS?
>> Mount options?
>
> An SSD file system must support TRIM or performance will be sub-par,
> so EXT3 is out.  EXT4 is a fine choice.
>
>> 2. Must I host other files on the SSD disk? channel icons? logs?
>>
>> I am planning on buy a little disk, maybe 4 or 8GB. I will appreciate
>> any help, thanks and best regards.
>
> That's tiny, but I understand the cost factor.  I put in one that
> holds everything except the media files, and I was surprised at how
> little difference it seemed to make.  Some things are slower now, as
> the media drive spins down when it didn't before with the whole OS on
> the drive.
My Nvidia ION2  Atom 525 mythtv 11.10 setup uses 2x1TB HDDs as a RAID 1
for media (/var/lib/mythtv) and 1x60GB SSD for everything else. I can't
say I notice any difference  in performance (it just works, recording
and playback of HD TV) but it is a lot quieter and cooler than just
using HDDs.  I've run a non-ION2 mythtv 8.10 system using a 30GB SSD and
and single 500GB HDD for media for several years now without issue.
With the cost of SSDs falling almost daily 4 or 8GB seems too small, I'd
suggest 30GB as a minimum.