[mythtv-users] [SOLVED] MythTV storage groups can't see 2nd hard drive

Alex Tomlins alex at tomlins.org.uk
Tue Jun 5 17:43:47 UTC 2012

On 05/06/12 18:28, JCF Junkmail wrote:
> David,
> Thanks for your reply.  You are spot on.  The permissions for /content (as opposed to the sub-folder) didn't include mythtv as user nor group.  I've changed this and now it is working! Thanks.
>
> Now I understand.  It seems MythTV developers expected me to give them the whole partition for exclusive MythTV use.  If I may say so, this aspect is not very well documented, really.  I know I can still put other stuff there. However, I don't feel comfortable giving permission to mythtv to access my other content. I know there are parameters for making sure some space is always left unused; and chances are the software will behave well and all, but it just feels wrong.  I will have to rethink my partition strategy accordingly.  Thanks for the enlightenment.
>
> PS: Thanks Mike<mtdean>  for you reply as well.  I didn't get to check the backend log yet as David's suggestion did the trick already. Cheers.

I don't think that's 100% accurate. All myth needs is the relevant
permissions to be able to write to the directory specified in the
storage group.  This means that the user running mythbackend (typically
mythtv) needs write permissions on the specified directory, and at least
execute permissions on all the parent directories.

I didn't see the permissions for your content directory, but I guess
they didn't have the necessary permissions for the mythtv user to cd
into the directory (i.e. execute permissions).

It shouldn't be necessary to dedicate the whole partition to mythtv.

thanks,
Alex

--
Alex Tomlins
Email/Jabber: alex at tomlins.org.uk

There are two kinds of people in the world: those who finish what they started