[mythtv-users] [SOLVED] MythTV storage groups can't see 2nd hard drive

JCF Junkmail jcf_junkmail at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 5 17:28:38 UTC 2012

> Message: 3
> Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2012 08:52:22 -0400
> From: "David Brieck Jr."
> To: Discussion about MythTV <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
>  Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] MythTV storage groups can't see 2nd hard
>      drive
>
>  On Tue, Jun 5, 2012 at 7:25 AM, JCF Junkmail  wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have stumbled upon either a mythtv-ubuntu bug or evidence I'm still a
> > noob :-) , I'm not sure.  Either way, I cannot go any further without
> > asking for your help as I have spent weeks trying to figure this out,
> > troubleshooting and searching for similar problems posted on the forums,
> > with no success so far.
> >
> > What I am trying to achieve is having mythtv directories in a second hard
> > drive, separate from the one with the operative system. The problem is that
> > when I try to change the default storage group that comes with the
> > installation for one subfolder in my 2nd HD, mythTV can't write to it.
> >
> > Here is my setup:
> > Ubuntu 11.10 system with 2 internal 1Tb HD with several partitions.
> > MythTV (single backend/frontend) installed from repository
> > ppa:mythbuntu/0.25, using this command: sudo apt-get install mythtv.
> > A partition in my second drive mounted to the filesystem at /content.  It
> > is what I would considered properly mounted, as shown here from the fstab
> > file:
> >    #         <UUID>                          <mount point>  <type>
> >    UUID=23af0479-7f92-4691-a3fc-5ebbc1ba888f /content        ext4
> >  defaults        0       2
> >
> > The UUID refers to a logical partition in my b drive, sdb6, as shown here:
> >    @:  blkid -U 23af0479-7f92-4691-a3fc-5ebbc1ba888f
> >    /dev/sdb6
> >
> > In /content, I have created a subfolder named "mythmedia" and set up
> > permission for MythTV to access it, as shown here:
> >    @:  /content$ ls -l | grep mythmedia
> >    drwxrwxr-x  2 mythtv mythtv        4096 2012-06-04 17:19 mythmedia
> >
> > MythTV would work fine when using the default storage group
> > "/var/lib/mythtv/recordings/".  However, when I attempt to change it from
> > the backend setup to "/content/mythmedia/" nothing gets recorded.  The
> > directory /content and all its subfolders work fine for all other purposes
> > (Nautilus, Samba, etc.), but for some reason MythTV doesn't want to use it
> > (i.e. no Tuner woul record to it).
> >
> > It is also odd that when I exit out of the backend setup, it doesn't give
> > me the message about the directory not exiting, so presumably, the backend
> > is able to see the folder is there.  However, when accessing the
> > information at (breadcrumbs) MythTV frontend> Information Center > System
> > Status> Machine status >, it shows only the space available in my main hard
> > drive (the one with /boot, /, /home and swap), ignoring the larger drive
> > mounted at /content.
> >
> > Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
> >
> >
> What are the permissions on /content? It would need to have at least R-X
> [...]

David,
Thanks for your reply.  You are spot on.  The permissions for /content (as opposed to the sub-folder) didn't include mythtv as user nor group.  I've changed this and now it is working! Thanks.

Now I understand.  It seems MythTV developers expected me to give them the whole partition for exclusive MythTV use.  If I may say so, this aspect is not very well documented, really.  I know I can still put other stuff there. However, I don't feel comfortable giving permission to mythtv to access my other content. I know there are parameters for making sure some space is always left unused; and chances are the software will behave well and all, but it just feels wrong.  I will have to rethink my partition strategy accordingly.  Thanks for the enlightenment.

PS: Thanks Mike <mtdean> for you reply as well.  I didn't get to check the backend log yet as David's suggestion did the trick already. Cheers.