[mythtv-users] Issues since upgrading to 0.25

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Tue Jun 5 08:13:22 UTC 2012

On 2 June 2012 03:48, Enigma <enigma at thedonnerparty.com> wrote:

> 5. Audio.  This is more of a configuration issue but any input would be
> appreciated.  I have a new frontend (Asus eeeBox EB1012p) hooked to an HDTV
> (Philips 46PFL5706/F7).  Currently, I am outputting audio over HDMI to the
> TV and using a digital audio passthrough output on the TV to provide the
> stream to my receiver.  The issue is that this configuration only allows me
> to select stereo output even though my receiver is capable of 5.1.  Is this
> because I am using HDMI and the TV only has 2 speakers?  Is there any way to
> use HDMI audio in this manner to get full 5.1 audio or does the frontend
> need to output directly to the receiver to get anything more than stereo?

I will only comment on the audio part.

First, I'd say ignore all the comments advising to override the EDID,
it's ill-advised and completely unnecessary.

Your TV is most likely passing the right information, that is it only
supports stereo PCM. In Settings -> Audio, make sure, AC3 and DTS are
checked which would enable 5.1 audio playback as far as mythtv is
concerned.

However, if your connectivity path is PC -> TV -> Amp ; you'll find
that your TV won't pass anything but stereo to your amplifier, despite
being a digital connection.
There are exceptions, but the vast majority of TVs behave that way.

The only proper way of getting around that limitation is connect it
that way : TV -> Amp -> PC

JY