[mythtv-users] 'End late' ignored when recording LiveTV

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Tue Jul 31 15:35:26 UTC 2012

On 31/07/12 16:01, Richard wrote:

> No.  They're the sort of programme that even if I'd looked at the guide, I still
> probably wouldn't have chosen to record it but having caught the beginning and
> found it interesting enough to hold my attention, I may well decide to watch the
> rest of it.
>
> Re-reading what I wrote last time, it could sound like I'm looking for these
> programmes.  I'm not.  The stuff I care about is recorded by rules but every so
> often I'll put live TV on whilst I, for example, grab something to eat because
> at that time there's usually something or other on that's light entertainment,
> passes the time, and isn't full of adverts.  I probably have other things to do
> after eating so I don't necessarily want to start watching something I've
> recorded because I don't have the time to watch it all the way through (and if I
> care enough about it to have created a rule for it, I'd rather watch it in one
> go).  Occasionally then a programme will be on that I find I'm sufficiently
> interested in it now that I've started, that I'd like to see the end of it.
> That's when I'll want to hit 'R'.
>
> It's certainly the exception rather than the rule with me but I can absolutely
> understand why one group of people would never want to inflict live TV on
> themselves, whilst another group in different circumstances can't see what's
> wrong with it.  The problem is getting the two groups to see it from the other's
> point of view.

Another option, which we use, depends on where in the world you are and whether
the channels available to you offer repeats.

For some of our channels, for example, there is also a "+ 1" channel. That gives
me up to an hour to log in to mythweb and schedule something I've found that
might be good.

Alternatively, just make a schedule including the program you're watching - or
have just watched. You can do that after the fact, since listings are held for
the previous seven days. Having done that, you can then monitor it for repeats
on other channels. That way, when it reappears, you'll have the whole thing on
disk - including, perhaps, the previous episodes you didn't catch because you
didn't know the program existed.

Of course, it's only disk space. If you subsequently decide you don't like what
you've recorded, there's always the 'delete' button. Nothing of value would have
been lost.

--

Mike Perkins