[mythtv-users] Recording directly to RAID

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Sun Jul 29 20:21:09 UTC 2012

On Sun, Jul 29, 2012 at 07:53:58AM +0300, Tapani Tarvainen wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 28, 2012 at 05:01:56PM -0400, Joseph Fry (joe at thefrys.com) wrote:
>
> > I am speaking in context of a Myth backend... if they have additional needs
> > that warrant the increased bandwidth for a single read/write operation that
> > is a different story altogether.
>
> Yes. My apologies for rambling about more general RAID issues.
>
> > A typical disk can support multiple recording and playback
> > operations and the data rates we see in modern media, so bandwidth
> > saturation isn't an issue.
>
> Probably not. Which is why I said:
>
> > > What RAID gives you that no backup can is uptime: recording won't
> > > stop because one disk dies. And that is really the only good reason
> > > for considering RAID in a dedicated mythtv box.
>
> And for that, the best option for four disks would probably
> be two independent RAID1 packs, as originally suggested.
>
> (RAID6 might slow it down so much it would begin to matter.)
>
> > Very few, mythtv users need a HA (high availability) myth server.
>
> I wouldn't call a single box with RAID disks a HA server...
>
> Anyway, in my experience disks are the part that breaks most often
> in computers, and I like the ease of replacing them in RAID.

    Just use a hot swap tray. That's what I do.

    Chances are you don't care about your recordings so much that it
would be such a great tragedy if they all 'went poof' one day. So you
throw in another disk and just go on about your merry way.

[deletia]

    Needless to say, I have zero redundancy on my recordings.

    As far as performance goes, my performance bottleneck is the network since
nearly everything on my setup is happening across the network.