[mythtv-users] Recording directly to RAID

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Sun Jul 29 02:43:32 UTC 2012

Hi

On 28 July 2012 15:11, Tapani Tarvainen <mythtv at tapanitarvainen.fi> wrote:
> Yes. (With Linux mdadm, RAID10, period. With hardware RAID, it depends.)
> In particular, RAID5 and RAID6 are poor choices for any situation where
> write speed is critical (and even RAID10 needs non-default parameters
> to do well).

I always find it particularly amusing reading about the use of extremes like...

I doubt Myth will ever require "critical" write speed.

So say you're recording 10 streams at the maximum bitrates of
22Mbit/s, 220Mbit/s is a figure that will unlikely ever see, as a
typical DVB stream is more around 15Mbit/s for some HD channels, and
that's if you're lucky....

RAID5 is perfectly suitable for home use, no point disregarding with
statement like RAID10 "period".

The most I've ever recorded at once was 6 streams, most of them SD so
6-7Mbit/s, my RAID5 array with green drives had no issue handling it,
recordings were just fine.

RAID10 is a waste of disk space IMHO if all you're after is disk
redundancy and big storage capacity.

We're not talking about enterprise-class SQL server here...

What next? so only RAID10 SSD disks should be used otherwise
everything is too slow "period" ?