[mythtv-users] CableCard Chain.

Richard Morton richard.e.morton at gmail.com
Thu Jul 26 21:59:45 UTC 2012

> you are not allowed to do that in some jurisdictions, see e.g.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/**Private_copying_levy#History<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Private_copying_levy#History>
> "A notable exception in Europe is the UK, that does not allow private
> copies."
>
> Its entirely possible he was introduced to digital audio matters by a
> law abiding UK citizen :-)

although technically correct that it is illegal, notable politicians
(including the current Prime Minister) have stated on radio that they rip
CDs. So technically illegal practically it is not enforced. It comes down
to the terms of sale and the three little words on the back of CDs which
say "All rights reserved." which (as I understand it and I am not a
solicitor) remove your fair-use rights.

The UK has an exception for TV time shifting; although that maybe case-law
rather than legislation; and (I seem to recall that) the limit is a 28day
timeshift although even the most draconian of DVRs in the UK (Sky+) does
not enforce this.