[mythtv-users] CableCard Chain.

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu Jul 26 13:47:05 UTC 2012

On 07/26/2012 09:23 AM, Eric Sharkey wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 25, 2012 at 4:56 PM, Yeechang Lee wrote:
>> You get what you pay for. Yes, US EIT is terrible, but $25 a year for
>> SchedulesDirect is stupendously, incredibly cheap consider how high
>> quality the listing service is (for those outside the US, it's the
>> same data that TiVo subscribers pay $10-20 a month for),
> That's not really a fair comparison.  TiVo subscribers pay $10-20 a
> month to help subsidize the cost of hardware.  Anyone putting together
> a mythtv system would likely spend about as much on hardware as the
> TiVo hardware + lifetime service package, and not need to pay any
> listings fees at all.
>
> My wife still uses our Series 1 TiVo, which has been getting listings
> from TiVo at no additional cost since 1999.

http://www3.tivo.com/promo/buy-premiere/m_buy-tivo.html

hardware is $99.99 or $149.99 or $399.99.  Then your service is either
$14.99/mo or $499.99 for a lifetime service.  At $500, that's equivalent
to 20 years of Schedules Direct membership/listings.

Even if you qualify for the "multi-service" discount and pay "only"
$399.99 for the lifetime service, that's equivalent to 16 years of SD
membership.  Or, if you go monthly with the "multi-service discount",
and pay "only" $12.99/mo, that's $155.88/yr compared to SD's $25/yr.
(Note, also, that the multi-service discount means you have multiple
TiVo boxes, and, therefore, paid multiple service fees...)

Granted, you won't be able to build a MythTV box with 2 HDTV tuners and
storage for "45 hours of HD programming" (whatever that is) for $99.99,
but then again, I'd need at least 300hrs of HDTV storage space and could
do a 4-tuner + 300hrs space for less than $399.99...

Mike