[mythtv-users] database recovery, no backup

Igor Cicimov icicimov at gmail.com
Sun Jul 22 23:32:01 UTC 2012

On Jul 22, 2012 4:33 AM, "Thomas Mashos" <thomas at mashos.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 21, 2012 at 10:54 AM, Ross Boylan
> <RossBoylan at stanfordalumni.org> wrote:
> > On Sat, 2012-07-21 at 12:43 +1000, Igor Cicimov wrote:
> >> For 0.25 you need to use dist-upgrade otherwise you can get stuck with
> >> partial upgrade. Run
> >> # apt-get update
> >> # apt-get dist-upgrade
> >> and see if that fixes it.
> > That was how I got into the trouble--using aptitude actually.
> > Ross

> It's important to not blindly do things like apt-get dist-upgrade.
> Unfortunately I almost never see people explain what should actually
> be done when giving that direction. It's usually someone saying "just
> do apt-get dist-upgrade to fix it" or "Don't run apt-get dist-upgrade,
> cause it will break it" or worse, "why does it offer a partial
> upgrade? I thought running from the repos this isn't suppose to
> happen". The thing these all have in common is that none of these
> people know how apt-get works nor the difference between upgrade and
> dist-upgrade.

Oh please! And you are the only one who does? Ive been working with Debian
since 1997 for sure i didnt wait for you to explain me how apt works!

Nothing is wrong with the dist-upgrade advise it will bring your system
most uptodate. In my case running upgrade was going to do partial one only
which means there is a good chance the database was going to be left in
inconsistant state. Running dist-upgrade did the job.

At the end of the day you are the one who knows your system best. If you
are running mixed source list you really need to know very well what are
you doing.