[mythtv-users] database recovery, no backup

Thomas Mashos thomas at mashos.com
Sat Jul 21 18:32:27 UTC 2012

On Sat, Jul 21, 2012 at 10:54 AM, Ross Boylan
<RossBoylan at stanfordalumni.org> wrote:
> On Sat, 2012-07-21 at 12:43 +1000, Igor Cicimov wrote:
>> For 0.25 you need to use dist-upgrade otherwise you can get stuck with
>> partial upgrade. Run
>> # apt-get update
>> # apt-get dist-upgrade
>> and see if that fixes it.
> That was how I got into the trouble--using aptitude actually.
> Ross

It's important to not blindly do things like apt-get dist-upgrade.
Unfortunately I almost never see people explain what should actually
be done when giving that direction. It's usually someone saying "just
do apt-get dist-upgrade to fix it" or "Don't run apt-get dist-upgrade,
cause it will break it" or worse, "why does it offer a partial
upgrade? I thought running from the repos this isn't suppose to
happen". The thing these all have in common is that none of these
people know how apt-get works nor the difference between upgrade and
dist-upgrade.

apt-get upgrade will upgrade packages that are already on the system.
It will not install/remove packages if there are new
dependencies/conflicts. If there are new dependencies/conflicts, that
is when you would see particular packages being "held back"

apt-get dist-upgrade will upgrade packages that are already on the
system. It will also install/remove packages if there are new
dependencies/conflicts. If there are new dependencies, you will see
that new packages are being installed (with a list). If there are new
conflicts, you will get a list of what packages are being removed. Now
for the important part, you need to pay attention to what it is trying
to remove and make sure it makes sense. Removing packages can be a
normal operation, but if there is a new dependency that cannot be
satisfied (because you are running with multiple repos active or the
repos aren't in sync) the it will remove the package (since it cannot
upgrade it).

Thanks,

Thomas Mashos