[mythtv-users] Best MythGallery compatible photo/video organizer?

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Tue Jul 17 02:23:01 UTC 2012

On Tue, Jul 17, 2012 at 7:51 AM, Eric Sharkey <eric at lisaneric.org> wrote:
> Can anyone on this list recommend a relatively simple but reliable
> photo/home video manager which can integrate well with MythGallery?
> What are people using?
>
> Over the years my MythGallery directory has gotten to be a bit of a
> mess, with some subdirectories imported from within MythGallery, some
> copied in from other places.  Sometimes the date of import was quite a
> bit later than the date the photo was taken.  Sometimes the device
> wasn't fully cleared before a second import, so there are duplicates.
>
> Most photos are tagged with a reasonable date internally.  I'm looking
> for something that can reorganize the photos and videos in a sensible
> hierarchy by date/time actually recorded (not imported), weed out the
> duplicates, and doesn't keep them locked up in its own database but
> rather keeps it on disk in a way MythGallery can read it.
>
> Any suggestions?

I have seen various programs/scripts that deal with duplicates. fdupes
comes to mind, and fslint. Use with care, especially if using
automatic delete!

There are also command line tools to read the photo's internal
details, which are usually in exif format. It would be moderately
trivial to write a program/script that reads the exif date and puts
the photo in a folder YYYY/MM/DD, or such other arrangement of folders
as you desire.