[mythtv-users] New wunderground weather scripts for 0.26

Gavin Hurlbut gjhurlbu at gmail.com
Sun Jul 15 22:07:08 UTC 2012

On Sun, Jul 15, 2012 at 2:56 PM, Gary Buhrmaster
<gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com> wrote:
> Now that TWC (The Weather Channel, a NBC Universal channel) has
> scooped up wunderground (Weather Underground), I suspect that it is
> only time before more changes will occur in the "for profit" weather
> business.  For those that missed the press release:
>   http://www.wunderground.com/about/pr/news.asp?date=20120702

Yeah, the much improved API is part of that.  As I said, $300/month
for Anvil Drizzle which is 5000 calls/day and 100/min.  It's free for
Developer at all levels, but 500 calls/day, 10/min.  This is why my
developer key will remain *my* key :)  They are already working
for-profit (or at least for-cover-expenses, I guess), and
non-commercial use, personal use is allowed using developer API keys.

As mentioned earlier, it would be nearly impossible for us to keep a
commercial entity from using our API key should we ever pay for one,
as our source is publically accessible, and they can just steal the
key.  If it's distributed, it's easy to scam.  I really think getting
our own individual keys solves much of the distribution issues the
best way, even if it's a wee bit inconvenient.