[mythtv-users] Note about Verizon FIOS cable cards

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Fri Jul 13 22:23:45 UTC 2012

On Fri, Jul 13, 2012 at 9:42 PM, Scott Chevalley <avalon at osguru.org> wrote:
> If it's not the router I would, from just a curious point of view, be interested
> in knowing why rebooting the router did fix it.

The authentication/activation/channel data for (all) CableCards is broadcast
in the background on the OOB channel all the time, and is used to update
the CableCard stored/saved info, and the channel maps.  That is why the
CSR statement after CableCard activation of "wait an hour for full activiation"
is actually not entirely wrong (the messages are broadcast more often than
that, but any one message may be lost, so they give it a few rounds).
The sending of a "hit" is often code for forcing the headend to send those
messages *now* for your card.  [If a CableCard does not get an update in a
(vendor specified) timeframe, it disables itself (that is why some cards will
magically turn off after a week or so)].  So, updates will happen if you wait
a little while.

Note that the 20120405 firmware in the Prime reportedly has a bug where
the channel info does not get properly updated in all cases until the
refresh time period expires.  There are reportedly fixes in the next firmware
release.

So, an entirely plausible alternative explanation is that your timing
was "good" (i.e. "lucky"), and that you just happened to reboot during
a period when the messages made it to your CableCard.  The only
way to be sure is to repeat the experiment and just wait patiently :-)

Gary