[mythtv-users] Note about Verizon FIOS cable cards

Scott Chevalley avalon at osguru.org
Fri Jul 13 21:42:57 UTC 2012

On 07/13/2012 05:22 PM, Eric Sharkey wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 12, 2012 at 4:50 PM, Jerry Rubinow <jerrymr at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, Jul 12, 2012 at 4:20 PM, Ronald Frazier <ron at ronfrazier.net> wrote:
>>>
>>> On Thu, Jul 12, 2012 at 11:36 AM, Scott Chevalley <avalon at osguru.org>
>>>
>>> That doesn't make sense to me. Cablecards are 1 way devices and don't
>>> rely on internet access. Furthermore, they don't even have the
>>> capability to be networked. So what is relying on the router? Is it
>>> the tuning adapter (though that shouldn't affect the channel linup)?
>>

>>> Or does FIOS actually have a coax cable output from the router to go
>>> into your cablecard devices?
>>

>> This.  The Actiontec sucks program guide info off the network cable and
>> injects it onto the coax.  I used to have problems with having to reboot the
>> Actiontec because it would periodically destabilize my lan, so I stopped
>> using it a long time ago.
>
> I don't think that's quite right.
>
> Yes, it's true that the Verizon cable modem/router does suck the guide
> data off and spit it back out via coax to all the Verizon STB's, but
> that's guide data, not channel data.  The HDHR Prime or other cable
> card devices have no access to the guide data at all, only the channel
> map, which is something completely different.
>
> Eric

I thought exactly the same thing until I lost all my channel info on all 3
cables cards until I rebooted the router.  You can see the channel list if you
go to the HDHomerun Prime's web page and click on Channel Lineup (I think that's
what it's called).

Before rebooting the router I only saw channel 97, and immediately after
rebooting the router I saw all my channels again, and I could immediately go to
a frontend and watch live tv where as before I kept getting "invalid virtual
channel number" in the backend log file.

If it's not the router I would, from just a curious point of view, be interested
in knowing why rebooting the router did fix it.

Scott