[mythtv-users] apple tv 3

Andre mythtv-list at dinkum.org.uk
Wed Jul 11 20:15:19 UTC 2012

On 11 Jul 2012, at 21:03, Matt Emmott wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 11, 2012 at 3:57 PM, Andre <mythtv-list at dinkum.org.uk> wrote:
>
> Even if it did work a firmware or encoder update at the broadcaster or cable headend could make everything stop working overnight.
>
> Andre
>
> Why's that? If I understand correctly, the HD-PVR's output format is going to be the same H.264-encoded file (Can't remember if MPEG-2 or 4) regardless of the source, right?

For HD-PVR recording yes no change but for anyone who is directly recording DVB of any sort they are at the mercy of the broadcaster or cable/terrestrial/satellite headend.

> As for playback, IIRC the AppleTV is essentially a screenless iPad. My iPad 3 played back H.264 recordings just fine by using ExPlayer HD and feeding it to the native player, which accelerated the file. Haven't tried the HD-PVR since virtualizing my backend which is still .24, so I don't know if that has changed.

I've never got my ipad3 to play any of my recordings, it seems happy with some progressive material but nothing interlaced works yet. Will have to try ExPlayer HD and see if that's useful, thanks for the hint.

Andre