[mythtv-users] apple tv 3

Matt Emmott memmott at gmail.com
Wed Jul 11 20:03:04 UTC 2012

On Wed, Jul 11, 2012 at 3:57 PM, Andre <mythtv-list at dinkum.org.uk> wrote:

> Even if it did work a firmware or encoder update at the broadcaster or
> cable headend could make everything stop working overnight.
>
> Andre
>
> Why's that? If I understand correctly, the HD-PVR's output format is going
to be the same H.264-encoded file (Can't remember if MPEG-2 or 4)
regardless of the source, right?

As for playback, IIRC the AppleTV is essentially a screenless iPad. My iPad
3 played back H.264 recordings just fine by using ExPlayer HD and feeding
it to the native player, which accelerated the file. Haven't tried the
HD-PVR since virtualizing my backend which is still .24, so I don't know if
that has changed.