[mythtv-users] Recommended distro?

Monkey Pet monkeypet at gmail.com
Fri Jul 6 03:07:10 UTC 2012

On Thu, Jul 5, 2012 at 9:00 AM, Geoff B <geoffbon at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Jul 5, 2012 9:03 AM, "Karl Dietz" wrote:
> >
> > On 05.07.2012 14:22, David Litchman wrote:
> >>
> >> I'm looking into switching my PC-DVR setup over to MythTV. It looks like
> >> there are three main precompiled distros and I'm wondering if any one of
> >> them comes more highly-recommended than any of the others?
> >

> > I'm quite happy with Mythbuntu. It has its set of quirks, but is a
> > close as I could find an appliance style distribution.
> > And it appears to have to biggest installed base according to Smolt OS
> > stats http://smolt.mythtv.org/static/stats/stats.html
> >
> > Regards,
> > Karl
>
> I'd second Mythbuntu. I'm also an IT professional, and spent several years
> battling through, and getting some good use out of, a Fedora-based Myth
> system.  It was a learning experience!

I have been using fedora for my myth backend/frontend been working fine for
over 5 years.  Upgrading from one fedora version to another like fc16 ->
fc17 it sucks, fedora has never made upgrading easy.  It always requires
booting from a media and preforming the update that way.  Fedora have been
improving the experience, but that's where ubuntu got it right!

I have recently installed ubuntu 12.04 on a mini for a frontend.
 Installation was smooth and painless.  Also with the mythbuntu repos and
control panels, it makes setup very easy for newbies.  I would recommend an
ubuntu distro for people setting up a new system.