[mythtv-users] BE (0.25) memory leak?

Gavin Whitehead gavin at alabastercranium.demon.co.uk
Tue Jul 3 21:50:19 UTC 2012

I'm running a combined BE/FE on Ubuntu 11.10 (3.0.0-22-generic x86_64)
and in the last week or so I've noticed that all my available RAM (6 GB)
is being consumed.

The memory seems to get consumed when the BE is recording.

I have both a DVB-S2 tuner (TBS 6981) and a DVB-T tuner (NOVA TD500) and
recording on either tuner has the same impact on memory.

Is anyone else seeing anything like this?

Here's what I have found:

Reboot the PC and wait 10 minutes for thing to settle down.  This means
that the BE and mysql are running but no FE and the BE is not recording.
Top reports free memory as ~5043364k and the memory figures for
mythbackend process are
     VIRT    880m
     RES     81m

Record a DVB-S (SD) program for 15 minutes (no FE attached).  At the end
of 15 minutes top reports free memory as 4573140k and the memory figures
for mythbackend process are
     VIRT    942m
     RES     74m
So that consumed ~460MB in 15 minutes i.e. free memory across the system
has gone down by 460MB through the BE process does not seem to show a
corresponding increase in its' memory foot-print..

Now Record a DVB-T (SD) program for 15 minutes (no FE attached).  At the
end of 15 minutes top reports free memory now as 4224912k and the memory
figures for mythbackend process are
     VIRT    951m
     RES     83m
So that consumed ~340MB in 15 minutes.

In both cases I kicked off the recording by selecting a currently
transmitting program in mythweb.

If I now stop and restart the BE I don't the memory back.  After the BE
process has been stopped the free memory reported by top stays about the
same.

I am running  v0.25.1-53-g1282eb3 but I was running v0.25.1-49-g65913e7
and seeing the same results.

Help!