[mythtv-users] error loading shared library libmythzmq.so.1

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Mon Jul 2 21:41:53 UTC 2012

On 07/02/2012 03:45 PM, Gavin Hurlbut wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 2, 2012 at 12:23 PM, John Nissley <jnissley at nissley.org> wrote:
>> On 07/01/2012 05:37 PM, John Nissley wrote:
>>> I just downloaded the latest mythtv trunk today and tried to compile and
>>> run it.  I was able to compile without a problem but when I tried to run
>>> mythbackend I get the following error:
>>> mythbackend: error while loading shared libraries: libmythzmq.so.1:
>>> cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
>> You did not get a Makefile-type error on zeromq? My attempts to compile
>> trunk (from yesterday afternoon) all failed with a 'no rule for install'
>> type error. There is no Makefile in the folder (nor in nzmt or qjson). I
>> presume the Makefile in the parent is supposed to be sufficient but NOT.
> It most certainly is.

Well, yes, but something got borken in a very obscure way on my machine. 
Why it should fail (or fail to create) on a subsequent pass is a little 
weird. It *should* have failed with the 'missing uuid library' error 
mentioned in another thread, but never got to there.

> What you need to do is to run ./configure at the top level of MythTV
> first, then make from the top level of MythTV.  This chains down to
> the external libraries correctly, including running their individual
> configure scripts where needed.  Any other method of building this is
> unsupported.

Yes, that is what my build script has been doing since ...2006 / Fedora 
4 I think. So why a failure THIS time, I do not know.

> You likely want to make distclean first from the top level too.

Well I did the equivalent: I nuked the folder and downloaded again.

(This WAS after downloading fixes, and compiling it, and finding that 
the db schema is 3 steps behind master...so THAT didn't work out 
although the compilation went fine!).

It's happily compiling in the middle of ../libs/libmythui now, so it is 
well past the problem point in the tree.

>>> I looked at the recent commits and I assume it has something to do with
>>> the commit that moved external libs under a new directory.  I tried to
>>> undo what was done on that commit but it did not seem to make any
>>> difference.
>> Hhhmm, methinks I now need to know how to pull a prior revision level
>> using git. I knew how to do that with subversion. Meh, schoolwork on a
>> holiday!

And now I know how to do that too!

> This makes no sense.  It builds as designed.  You are doing it wrong :)

Well shit happens Gavin. *I* don't know what went wrong. I ran my 
script. Output scrolled off the screen, and I didn't notice that error. 
It borked on another error much later (which was almost assuredly a 
consequence of the first error. I ran the script again (yes, without a 
distclean...although that should not have been necessary) and found 
problems. So what the actual error was is lost.

Note too: this was a brand new download too: Just like the one which is 
compiling now...

>> I got the error for zeromq and now forget how I resolved it.  I think I
>> went to where ever there was a Makefile and did a make distclean or ran
>> a make from that specific Makefile location and tried to resolve what
>> ever error it gave me.  Sorry i can not be more specific but that was
>> in the middle of me trying to figure out the libmythzmq.so.q error.
> When running master...  if things don't build as expected, go to the
> top level of MythTV, and make uninstall, make distclean, and start
> again.  Also, after distclean, manually delete any remaining installed
> libraries or includes (if we moved the paths, as we did in this case).

To be truthful, I have problems SO rarely when building that I forget 
about make distclean. I DO remove all of the installed libraries before 
starting the build...Usually I back up all of the installed libs and 
progs and then nuke the folders.

>   I don't know how you guys managed to get wedged :)

I think my karma caught up with me. Smart is telling me the video drive 
is starting to suffer from Alzheimers, and mysql decided to go on 
strike. So I nuked the OS drive and installed Fedora 17 and downloaded a 
nice new git clone to get everything working nicely. And got cold water 
poured on my head....


More information about the mythtv-users mailing list