[mythtv-users] Ubuntu TV

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Tue Jan 31 09:44:29 UTC 2012

On 1/31/2012 00:48, TJ Harris wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 13, 2012 at 2:12 PM, Steven Adeff<adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> On Thu, Jan 12, 2012 at 9:59 PM, Cecil Watson<knoppmyth at gmail.com>  wrote:
>>> I saw Ubuntu TV at CES. What was being displayed is a mock up. Ubuntu TV has
>>> a long way to go before one can buy it at your local electronics store.
>>> Ubuntu TV isn't a replacement for MythTV.
>> What's sad is that they are not devoting that development time to make
>> mythfrontend be able to do everything they want.
>>
>> What they want is MythTV but with more enhancements, instead of
>> enhancing they're choosing to start from scratch. Damn shame.
> > From what I read about Ubuntu TV, it sounded like they were taking the
> backend from mythtv, frontend from XBMC, and extending it.
> Personally, I think that's a very good way to go.  The mythtv backend
> is far better than anything else out there.  But the frontend has not
> really kept up with XBMC and derivatives.

As I understand it, they haven't taken anything from either at the
moment.  They were temporarily using the XBMC external grabbers to
populate metadata for their CES demo, and they may in the future link
into our backend for recording.  One of the Mythbuntu guys has been
working to interface it to MythTV through the new Services API.