[mythtv-users] Vaapi use on Sandy Bridge

william otten williammotten at gmail.com
Sat Jan 28 05:35:52 UTC 2012

On Fri, Jan 27, 2012 at 3:00 PM, William Otten <williammotten at gmail.com>wrote:

> On 1/27/2012 5:52 AM, William Otten wrote:

> I decided to start over from scratch since I had tried alot different
things. In stepping back through in getting things installed I wanted to
verify a couple of things. Previously I loaded the following:
 sudo apt-get install libbluray1 i965-va-driver vainfo libmad0
gtk2-engines-pixbuf
based on another user's installation and I wanted to make sure they were
needed, This time I didn't load them. I had ubuntu and mythtv installed and
I tried the vaapi for the decoder and it worked or so I thought. I looked
at the cpu use and it was between 32 - 40% (using system monitor looking at
mythfrontend.real) then I loaded vainfo and got the same result. I then
loaded i965-va-driver and the result was mythtv freezing with a black
screen (this is different than the original problem but I have since loaded
newer mythtv changes). So the questions I have:
1. How do I know if vaapi is really running? How can I verify?
2. What supporting items are needed for vaapi to work in mythtv? ie
vainfo, i965-va-driver,
etc...
3. This may sound  like a stupid question but another user didn't even
realise they needed to do this....vaapi needs to be selected as the decoder
in the playback profile to use vaapi?

Sorry for the bother but I wanted to get the information from the source
this time.