[mythtv-users] HDHR CC Issues

Robert McNamara robert.mcnamara at gmail.com
Fri Jan 27 15:21:34 UTC 2012

On Fri, Jan 27, 2012 at 7:06 AM, Mitchell Gore <mitchell.gore at gmail.com>wrote:

> Well I spoke too soon.
>
> I dont understand why this is happening but hopeing we can get it fixed.
>
> I went through all my channels for the cable card stacking my analog/hd
> stations.  So I edited the Channum field out of Mythweb.  I left the freqid
> alone.  On all my other souces that field is used to actually tune the
> channel.  But for some reason MythTV is using the channum to tune the HDHR,
> hence the "Requested channel is not a digital channel. Please select a
> different channel." in the HDHR logs.
>
> What I am trying to accomplish is stacking channels that I get OTA,
> Analog, and digital CC.  For Example:
>
> HDHR Dual gets Channel 9.1 via Antenna.
> HDHR CC gets the same channel on 610.
> My PVR150 Also gets this on channel 12
>
> I what them to show up in the guide as 1 station.  So I edited the Channum
> to all be channel 12, also matched the callsign and network name.  As well
> as setting priorities.
>
> Now in the guide I see 1 station for 12.  This is how I have always
> configured myth.  When I select a channel it then uses the chanid, mplexid,
> etc to tune it.  So why is the HDHR CC using the Channum?
>
> For a pic look here.  My HDHR CC is source 8, In this config Mythtv
> request channel 12 which is a analog station only
> http://tinypic.com/r/350jqfr/5
>
> Thanks,
> Mitchell

Mitchell,

I understand that there are a variety of reasons that make a lot of sense
to you to try to consolidate and re-use video sources, but we can't really
provide support for an unsupported configuration, and using a lineup
containing QAM channels with the Prime is an unsupported configuration.
 There's a good reason that the official instructions are vehement about
using a fresh, unadulterated video source-- it's to avoid these kinds of
issues.  The video source attached to the Prime *must* be an "analog"
lineup to work reliably and properly.

As ever, your database is your own, but I would have to close any tickets
you opened on the Prime because you don't want to follow the known-good
configuration steps and because you're attempting to manipulate the
database directly to get it to do something it's not designed to do-- The
code uses key bits of information from those very table to determine how to
tune the Prime versus a regular digital tuner, and your approach prevents
that logic from working.  If it feels like I am intentionally being vague
about the specifics of the channel tables in the database, it's because I
am.  There's a known path to a working configuration (the one in the
documentation) and a path known to cause problems due to unsupported
configuration/misconfiguration, and that's the one that you are currently
attempting.  I want to reiterate that I understand why you want to
consolidate video sources and avoid doing busy work tidying up a channel
lineup-- it's just that your approach to trying to do so can, will, and has
caused problems for you and others, and isn't something we can assist you
with (and moreover, makes it impossible to accept any bug reports from your
database).

Best of Luck,

Robert