[mythtv-users] MythTV and 3D ?

phipps-hutton at sky.com phipps-hutton at sky.com
Fri Jan 27 10:46:08 UTC 2012

Quoting Mike Perkins <mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk>:
> As a matter of interest, what happens for those of us who either
> don't have or
> don't want 3D TV? There will probably be occasions in the future
> when all that's
> transmitted for a particular program is a 3D option. How will this
> be displayed
> in 2D? Alternate frames? I can't see it being possible to blend the
> viewpoints.

Don't worry, it's never going to happen. The current '3D' is just
stereoscopic imaging. You have to sit with your eyes horizontal in
order to watch it which is not the preferred position of the majority
of viewers (10% of children watch TV upside down). Also you cannot
look at different depths because they stay out of focus unlike reality
which is always better focused than your eyes, trying to look at
things the cameras are not focused on is what gives you headaches.

To be acceptable 3D TV has to be something like holographic and will
require lots (hundreds) of cameras (or CGI).

Cheers,
Tim.