[mythtv-users] Feature request page on wiki

Tim Draper veehexx at gmail.com
Mon Jan 23 16:33:18 UTC 2012

On 23 January 2012 16:11, Marc Randolph <mrand at pobox.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 23, 2012 at 5:37 AM, Tim Draper <veehexx at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> from a user side perspective, I do agree with a feature request system
>> - atleast then the devs can see which ideas have a bigger audience if
>> a "+1" reply is allowed (or some sort of vote system).
>> surely that can only be a good thing from a project point of view; the
>> features that users want are being worked on, rather than what a dev
>> feels he needs for their own setup.
>
> I'm not a mythtv dev, but my view is that this type of thing would
> just lead to more feature emails, except now they would be backed up
> with the "fact" that "feature X is obviosly heavily desired - just
> look at the number of votes!"    Lastly, it would leave the impression
> that the votes matter to the devs.
>
>> it could also tie in with the dev's own todo list - if they see more
>> people wanting a feature they have on the list, they might
>> re-prioritize or work their own implementation slightly differently to
>> accommodate something specific.
>
> While possible, I think it would be of such limited use (in the devs
> eyes) that it would not overcome the negatives I mentioned in my
> paragraph above.

it seems I've mis-understood how the mythtv project works, but i see
your POV. When i say 'works', i mean the way work is prioritized. i
presumed it was done on a most-desired based list. it seems not.
obviously myth has come along way and a well deserved reputation for
being the best DVR/PVR software out there and it wouldn't of got there
without the way it copes with feature "requests".

that said, i have seem some of the dev's comments (misinterpreted?)
regarding liveTV. the entire reason i've gone with mythtv is because
of the livetv functionality, unlike XBMC which doesnt do
livetv/tuners. some of the dev's feel that liveTV is essentially a
secondary target for the project. i cant help but worry that if users
cant put their ideas and thoughts forward, and for them to be
considered, then livetv will be left in the dust for internet-TV
services, which some/alot of people do use.

again, i dont mean this post in a negative way or as a moan - i hope
it doesn't come across as that; i'm just trying to put my thoughts
across :)