[mythtv-users] Feature request page on wiki

Marc Randolph mrand at pobox.com
Mon Jan 23 16:11:37 UTC 2012

On Mon, Jan 23, 2012 at 5:37 AM, Tim Draper <veehexx at gmail.com> wrote:

> from a user side perspective, I do agree with a feature request system
> - atleast then the devs can see which ideas have a bigger audience if
> a "+1" reply is allowed (or some sort of vote system).
> surely that can only be a good thing from a project point of view; the
> features that users want are being worked on, rather than what a dev
> feels he needs for their own setup.

I'm not a mythtv dev, but my view is that this type of thing would
just lead to more feature emails, except now they would be backed up
with the "fact" that "feature X is obviosly heavily desired - just
look at the number of votes!"    Lastly, it would leave the impression
that the votes matter to the devs.

> it could also tie in with the dev's own todo list - if they see more
> people wanting a feature they have on the list, they might
> re-prioritize or work their own implementation slightly differently to
> accommodate something specific.

While possible, I think it would be of such limited use (in the devs
eyes) that it would not overcome the negatives I mentioned in my
paragraph above.

   Marc