[mythtv-users] Hardware and software battles

john rwc at bestpond.com
Mon Jan 23 01:43:37 UTC 2012

Hi Michael,
On Mon, 23 Jan 2012 10:31:47 Michael Watson wrote:
<snip>

> >> Thats all good an well if you are in the US, and use Schedules Direct.
> >> For those of us who arent, what would they do?
> >
> > In Australia the full program lineup is readily available for mythtv
> > using "shepherd" the mailing list is on google groups.
> > There has been some talk on that list of moving the website, however the
> > website is presently at http://svn.whuffy.com/
> >
> > Shepherd can be configured readily for mythtv and covers all Australian
> > regions.  I am in Canberra and have absolutely no problems running it
> > and receiving all program data for the full range of channels available.
> >
> > I do not use Foxtel or other paytv services, but Shepherd can be
> > configured to receive that data as well.
<snip>

> I am aware of "shepherd", and have used it for many years, but I believe
> that shepherd works in reverse to SchedulesDirect.  With shepherd you
> must first scan for channels, then run shepherd --configure to setup the
> XMLID's, where I believe the guys/gals using Schedules direct simply
> download all the channel data direct without the need to scan.

I am not really aware of the details with SchedulesDirect, some years ago
there was a request from SchedulesDirect for people in "other countries" to
indicate if they were interested in using SchedulesDirect in their location.

I believe that there were expressions of interest from Australian mythtv users
at that time, including me. I don't think it progressed, and as I was using
Shepherd I haven't really looked at it again.  I have only had to reconfigure
shepherd after significant upgrades, or when adding an extra channel. As I
don't use paytv,  it has only been a small task each time. I don't know the
effect on this if I had paytv.

Best wishes,
John