[mythtv-users] rip DVD (I own) to storage with menus

Mark Lord mythtv at rtr.ca
Tue Jan 17 23:00:25 UTC 2012

On 12-01-17 10:14 AM, Raymond Wagner wrote:
..
> Things may have changed in the meanwhile, but I've sworn off USB since
> around 2005, when any data transfer over a few GB would consistently
> cause kernel panics in both the Athlon64 and P4 SuSE workstations we had

That's a bit dated info.
USB 2.0 mass storage is now very stable,
and has been so for years.

USB 3.0 is still a bit flaky though,
but the problems with it seem to be mostly
at startup/hotplug time, and transfers are
stable beyond that phase.

eSATA with port-multipliers is very high-throughput,
but also quite demanding on the exact hardware configuration.
A lot of mobos don't have "real" eSATA ports with port-multiplier compatibility,
but for those who do then that's another great expansion option.

Here, I've stuffed three 2TB drives, plus an SSD and DVD/RW drive,
into my primary BE/FE box: an original Antec Fusion with VFD.

For backups, I've got a 4-bay MediaSonic eSATA/USB enclosure
plugged into the eSATA port of the (Foxconn) mobo.  Works very well.
Systems without good eSATA could use the USB 3.0/2.0 interface instead
and still access all four drive bays.

Cheers