[mythtv-users] rip DVD (I own) to storage with menus

Michael Watson michael at thewatsonfamily.id.au
Tue Jan 17 14:44:26 UTC 2012

On 18/01/2012 12:17 AM, Kris B. wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 17, 2012, at 07:17 AM, Brian J. Murrell wrote:
>> On 12-01-16 11:15 PM, Michael Watson wrote:
>>> I have to ask.  For what reason do you need the file to be compressed?
>> Simply to save space.
>>
>> I know others (have and) will say that the savings are not worth it --
>> disk is cheap.  In fact it's not, especially when you cannot just simply
>> add a new spindle since you have no capacity (i.e. an available sata
>> port, or a bus slot to put another sata controller in) to simply add a
>> spindle, so that means swapping out an existing spindle for a larger one
>> which means buying not only additional capacity but also existing
>> capacity in a new spindle.
>>
>> b.
> Well, I think most people assume a usb storage drive as an option as
> well (which you didn't include).  However, having said that, I think you
> now realize you either have to have the whole DVD in its' big size, or
> just the movie in an mp4 format.
>
> Most of the HD BluRay guys do the mp4 due to size... me for my "virtual"
> movie channel for my Roku's, I did SD mp4s from my DVD's.

DVD in its big size, is 4Gb, possibly 8Gb (if dual layer).  Not really a
huge amount of space is it??
NAS is another storage option.
Or like my setup, Master Backend that is also Torrent downloader, Samba
File Server, DHCP, Apt-Cache, NFS, TFTP, iSCSI Target, Caching DNS, in a
big tower, with a bunch of spindles (varying from 400Gb to 1Tb) that
have been added when space required, or spare hdd acquired.    [My FE's
and SBE's all run diskless]

Contrary to popular belief, you dont need a beefy machine to run as a
MBE, P4's with a 1Gb of memory do a rather good job (and are cheap as
chips, even with 500Gb+ HDD)

So, If space is that much of an issue, I would be looking into expanding
the setup to gain additional storage space, with a view to a simple way
of adding more space in the future when required.  Plenty of people here
that can advise / help you setup and configure such a setup.

Regards,
Michael Watson