[mythtv-users] VDPAU Feedback

Pieter De Wit pieter at insync.za.net
Tue Jan 17 20:55:07 UTC 2012

On Tue, 17 Jan 2012, Kirk Bocek wrote:

> Because the same philosophy one applies to a corporate server goes
> doubly with a Myth box.

<rant>
As a Sys Admin, I'd hate to work for a company with the same thoughts. I
have heard all the excuses from "behind firewalls" to "never used bla".
They are all weak excuses in my mind. Patching should happen !
</rant>

> My two frontend boxes, one in the living room, one in the bedroom, I
> update as *infrequently* as possible. Once I get them up and running and
> I leave them *alone*.

My wife agrees with you here, but I can't. Things change too quickly, hell
I thought I caught up to 1080, now there is 4k streams.....WHAT !?!?!?

> Hmm, what does that remind me of? I know! The cable company. A very
> large *corporation*, whose hardware is on very long support time frames
> and which seems to sit in my A/V closet for years at a time.

Yet they silently patch them. Maybe better tested than Myth, but then
again, set hardware support etc. Imaging if you will, I sell you a black
box that runs Myth, on a set hardware platform. I can support that without
problems for years. Just look at the wide hardware support Linux/Myth has
to cope with. My current HT system patches itself when I turn it off.

I recall that your original email was to get HDMI Audio working. So you
have taken a working system and change the hardware platform. If you
didn't, you would still be 100%. All the set-top boxes you refer too, that
didn't have HDMI connections, didn't magically grow them when they came
out, it was a swap-out, with I bet, 100's of software changes.

> I wish Myth would work like that.

Windows media center ?

> That's why I end up focusing on CentOS, the software I use at work. I
> want a MythTV appliance that "just works." I won't get it, but one can
> dream, can't one? Hope springs eternal.

A project to fund perhaps ? The bottom line with Open software, in my
mind, is that they give you the building blocks for something. I look at
my HT system, and it has the GPL docs. This means that the above, has
already happened, but in a limited way (no DVB-* connection)

If I could, I would add DVB-S2 times 4 to my HT system and heaven would
indeed be, a place on earth :) <-- spot a link :D

Cheers,

Pieter