[mythtv-users] Manual mythconverg_backup.pl run goes to dir in backuprc, cron run doesn't

Kris B. krisbee at krisbee.com
Tue Jan 17 20:36:29 UTC 2012

On Tue, Jan 17, 2012, at 02:55 PM, Ian Evans wrote:
> Scratching my head here. Was looking at my files and noticed that my
> database appeared not be be backed up in months despite there being a
> daily run in my cron.
>
> I ran mythconverg_backup.pl manually and the new file did show up on
> the drive specified in backuprc.
>
> I did a "locate" and found out that my backups were indeed happening
> daily, but not at the location specified in backuprc which is
> "DBBackupDirectory=/storage1/mythbackups".
>
> Instead they were going to: /var/lib/mythtv/db_backups
>
> Why would they be going there instead of the location I specified? And
> why would they go to the backuprc location when I run manually and not
> when cron runs it?

I had this happen to me, and it was because I was running cron as root,
while my backuprc was as my normal day to day user.  Also, specifying
which user to run it in cron.daily folder didn't help - I had to make my
cron using the cron command, which cleared it up.

Then, it didn't rotate my backups either - that was because I used a
fat32 drive and due to permissions, it just didn't work right - when I
switched to a folder on my ext3 drive it all worked fine.

--
  Kris B.
  krisbee at krisbee.com