[mythtv-users] VDPAU Feedback

Kirk Bocek t004 at kbocek.com
Tue Jan 17 19:06:22 UTC 2012

On 1/17/2012 10:46 AM, Nick Rout wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 18, 2012 at 7:25 AM, Kirk Bocek<t004 at kbocek.com>  wrote:
>>

>> On 1/17/2012 10:00 AM, R. G. Newbury wrote:
>>> Beats me why you are beating your head against the wall for a mythbox.
>>> For a corporate server, I can see you wanting to run CentOS 6. For a
>>> mythbox, I really cannot see any reason why you should not step up and
>>> use Fedora 16, with all of the kernel modules recently polished and
>>> shiny. And lirc included as a kernel module using dev-input.
>>>
>>> All of the 'all-in-one' distros use recent kernels. Mythbuntu is up to
>>> Ubuntu 11.10 which uses a 3.0 kernel. Linhes is on 2.6.39.
>>>
>>> A mythbox is supposed to be a tool to be used. Why make it a roadblock?
>>>
>>> Geoff
>>
>> Because the same philosophy one applies to a corporate server goes
>> doubly with a Myth box.
>>
>> My two frontend boxes, one in the living room, one in the bedroom, I
>> update as *infrequently* as possible. Once I get them up and running and
>> I leave them *alone*.
>>
>> Hmm, what does that remind me of? I know! The cable company. A very
>> large *corporation*, whose hardware is on very long support time frames
>> and which seems to sit in my A/V closet for years at a time.
>>
>> I wish Myth would work like that.
>>
>> That's why I end up focusing on CentOS, the software I use at work. I
>> want a MythTV appliance that "just works." I won't get it, but one can
>> dream, can't one? Hope springs eternal.
>
> Try LinHES then.
>
> Also *buntu has another LTS release in April, you could try that. I am
> still on 10.04, the last LTS release.

And you all may very well have convinced me to move if I can't get my
CentOS 6 stability problems fixed over on the atrpms-users list (I'm not
making a whole lot of headway there.)

My main concern would be synchronizing with the house server sitting in
the garage which is the master backend. That for the foreseeable future
will continue to run CentOS. So if I run one of the appliance distros I
still need to make sure it works with whatever I'm running in the garage
which is generally packages from ATrpms. Axel is pretty good on keeping
up on relatively current fixes so I don't think it would be too much of
a problem.

Is Mythdora still active? As you say, seems like *buntu gets all the
traffic now.