[mythtv-users] Further Q on multiple tuners!

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Mon Jan 16 22:05:42 UTC 2012

On Sat, Jan 7, 2012 at 6:13 AM, Chris Lewis <chrislewis915 at gmail.com> wrote:
> OK i think i have finally got the mailing list sending me stuff!  I'm still
> not sure how to reply to my old thread to am starting a new one
> here with what i hope are the right questions this time!
>
> OK my current setup now has a Nova TD500 dual DVB-T and a TeVii S480 dual
> DVB-S2.
>
> I have got two video sources set up (called freeview and satellite) which
> are allocated to the relevant tuners and full channels scans performed (FTA
> only on the satellite stuff)
>
> OK now take BBC1 as an example.  I have got a number of options watching
> BBC1 now. They are BBC1 HD and a multitude of BBC1 SD channels on the
> satellite tuners, and BBC1 also on DVB-T.  So obviously where available i
> would like to record the HD channel if possible so i have set a priority of
> 9 in the Recording Priorities.
>
> The trouble is that the episode descriptions for the BBC1 HD, BBC1 sat and
> BBC1 freeview are slightly different so a rule to record eastenders (any
> time any channel) gives me 3 copies of each episode!

Are you using EIT or radiotimes xmltv? If you use xmltv you should get
the same data fro each channel no matter what the transmission path.
Set each channel that carries the same programming to have the same
xmltvid and callsign (the latter seems to be case sensitive too) and
they will appear only once in the EPG. I find it best to do this in
mythweb, after the steps I outline below.

If you use EIT I don't think there is a way to reconcile slightly
dissimilar show descriptions, which is why you may be better with the
radiotimes xmltv feed (I know it is popular, and seems to be preferred
by UK users).

> How do i tell mythtv that these are all in fact the same channel and also I
> would much prefer the EPG to only include one entry for BBC1 and to
> automatically select the best option when recording.  I dont really use Myth
> for live viewing but if i did then is it possible to set live tv to always
> tune HD if available?

What i say here relates to recording - If you haven't done so, set the
tuners up in order of priority, ie if you want it to prefer to record
on the satellite HD tuner, set that up first, and then the others in
order of priority. If you didn't do it that way then delete ALL tuners
(not just All tuners on this host) and start again in the correct
order. Don't worry, the video sources will still be there to attach
them to, so you don't lose your scanning/channel info.