[mythtv-users] Mixing dvb-t2 and dvb-t tuners.

Keith Edmunds kae at midnighthax.com
Sun Jan 15 11:43:17 UTC 2012

I'd like to reopen this discussion as I'm struggling to find an optimal
configuration as well.

The full hardware/software specification of the backend is at the end of
this post, but the tuners are 2 x Hauppauge Nova-T Stick (USB) and 1 x
PCTV Nanostick 290e (also USB). Also relevant is that I'm in the UK.

It is my wish to use the 290e only for HD recordings, because in the UK
one DVB-T2 tuner can receive all of the HD stations simultaneously as they
are on the same mux. By reserving it for HD recordings only, I can
guarantee that it will be available any time I wish to record an HD
broadcast.

So, I have set up two video sources, "EIT" and "EITHD". The two Nova-T
tuners are linked to the first, and the 290e to the second.

If I enable active EIT scanning on one Nova-T (for the non-HD channels)
and on the 290e (for the HD channels), I get the infamous i2c errors. So I
have disabled EIT scanning on all tuners, which in turn means the
programme guide only gets updated when recordings are made.

That's not a problem for the non-HD channels as there are some children's
programmes recorded each morning in SD. However, the HD programme guide
can get a few days behind as recording HD programmes is rarer.

I don't want to use the Radio Times guide as, ironically, it doesn't
support radio, and I record a fair bit of radio.

Questions:

 - is there a better way of keeping the programme guide up to date,
   particularly for HD?

 - is there a better way of configuring a mixture of HD and SD tuners?

Thanks,
Keith

Backend details:
 - Debian v6.0.3 ("Squeeze")
 - Debian multimedia repository
 - Myth version 0.24.1+fixes20111029f (as packaged by repository)
 - Kernel: 2.6.32-5-686-bigmem
 - Tuners: 2 x Hauppauge Nova-T Stick (USB) and 1 x PCTV Nanostick 290e
   (also USB)
 - Firmware for the Nova: dvb-usb-dib0700-1.20.fw; v4l drivers from 30 Nov
   fro the 290e
 - no module load parameters specified
 - tuning delay 250mS for each tuner

--
"You can have everything in life you want if you help enough other people
get what they want" - Zig Ziglar.

Who did you help today?