[mythtv-users] Ubuntu TV

Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Sat Jan 14 07:11:22 UTC 2012

Sent from my iPhone

On 2012-01-13, at 14:12, Steven Adeff <adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 12, 2012 at 9:59 PM, Cecil Watson <knoppmyth at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I saw Ubuntu TV at CES. What was being displayed is a mock up. Ubuntu TV has
>> a long way to go before one can buy it at your local electronics store.
>> Ubuntu TV isn't a replacement for MythTV.
>
> What's sad is that they are not devoting that development time to make
> mythfrontend be able to do everything they want.
>
> What they want is MythTV but with more enhancements, instead of
> enhancing they're choosing to start from scratch. Damn shame.
>
> --
> Steve
I saw the mockup too. The idea appears to be to stick a mini-box *inside* a tv +/- cable card and plug in a network cable and coax. There seemed to a lot of enthusiasm but i don't think they have thought it all through: tuners, storage, etc. And the cableco's seem to backing away from cablecard.
I rste this as a 'run it up the flagpole' proposal.
Geoff