[mythtv-users] HDHR or Hauppauge HVR-2250 for next tuner card?

Jeff Sadowski jeff.sadowski at gmail.com
Sat Jan 14 05:58:34 UTC 2012

In my area here in New Mexico(yes we are part of the USA) Comcast
requires their own box that only has HDMI out to get an HDTV channels.
and DirecTV has the same deal. I don't know if it would be possible to
use MythTV with either of the options I have for paid TV.
Maybe a Lirc transmitter and record off of an HDMI in type adapter
card? I'm sure there is some way to record even stuff that isn't
suppose to be recordable off of HDMI.

I didn't watch enough pay TV to be worth $80/month for Directv or
$90/month(relative prices after their promotions end) for Comcast and
I wanted a DVR that didn't have to be hooked up to cable. Who'd have
thunk you had to have cable to use a DVR like TIVO (So you would be
paying two bills? one for TIVO the other for cable? that's B.S.) I
don't even know of other DVRs besides MythTV or other Linux projects
that aren't as popular.

Currently I use a HDHomerun (love the capability of putting it far
away from the computer to cut out interference) with a good antenna
and can use Mythtv to record most shows I watch.