[mythtv-users] mythfilldatabase not populating EPG

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Fri Jan 13 11:18:22 UTC 2012

On 12/01/12 19:58, Chris Lewis wrote:
> I'm thinking aloud a little here.  What about a script that scrapes one of
> the websites that lists all the channel data for the bird you are
> interested in  (something like http://en.kingofsat.net/pos-28.2E.php for
> the UK FTA stuff) inserts the relevant XMLTV id's etc etc and builds a
> channel sql table from there.
>
> What I'm thinking is that we shouldn't need to scan for any channels (for
> either DVB-S or DVB-T) here in the UK as all the information about what
> channel is on what mux and the relevant PIDs etc.  Can't we tell MythTV
> what channels are available?

[DVB-T]
Well, until we actually switch to digital the situation (8th Feb here) is kind
of a moveable feast. Even discounting the switchover, what channels go on what
multiplexes changes from time to time. In fact, our switchover involves *two*
scans, one on the 8th and another on the 22nd February, with the possibility of
yet another later on this year.

Another factor is that some of us can receive stations from more than one
direction, in more than one BBC/ITV region. Somehow you'd have to be able to
specify which one/ones you preferred. Each of those has a different xmltvid.

[DVB-S]
The situation regarding satellite is rather more stable, so what you suggest has
some merit (assuming that what you suggest (scraping web pages) isn't illegal).
However, I don't (yet) have any satellite access, so I can't comment further in
that department.

--

Mike Perkins